Just last week, the Northeast got hit with winter storm Juno, and Linus is now on his way. With winter storms like these come damaging winds, flooding, ice and heavy snowfall. It’s essential that homeowners take proper measures to stay safe and warm during winter storms, including removing snow and ice from walkways and roofs as quickly as possible.
Last week, HomeAdvisor saw a significant spike in homeowner requests for professional snow removal services:
- On January 25, there were 320% more requests for snow removal than the same day last year and 4,700% more than the same day one week earlier.
- On January 26, there were 433% more requests for snow removal than the same day one year ago and 2,000% more than the same day a week earlier.
- On January 27, there were 640% more requests for snow removal than the same day one year ago and 1,670% more than the same day a week earlier.
If you’re in an area affected by winter storms such as Juno and Linus and expect heavy snowfall:
- Shovel your walks and remove snow and ice from your roof
- Spread rock salt on driveways and walkways
- Keep the temperature warm inside your home to keep pipes from bursting
- Wear warm layers of clothing and keep flashlights on hand in case of power outage
- Call a professional snow removal service if you’re unable to remove ice and snow yourself
Photo courtesy of DesignMine
About Andrea Davis
Andrea Davis works for HomeAdvisor, which helps homeowners find the right home improvement professionals and now makes the process simple from start to finish for everyone using Mhelpdesk. Homeowners can use HomeAdvisor Reviews to see what past customers have to say about each professional, and can calculate average local and national costs for a variety of home projects using Cost Guides. Access to all information and features is free for homeowners.
Note: This is a guest post; the views and opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or position of Redfin.